Monday, March 21, 2016

Deep Impact

At that moment the curtain in the sanctuary of the Temple was torn in two, from top to bottom. The earth shook, rocks split apart, -Mt 27:51

It’s Easter week and of course all I can think about is the last week of Jesus’ life.  
This morning while sitting in church listening to the worship band I started thinking about the moment Jesus died.  Not the triumphant entry although it is palm Sunday as I type this. Not the resurrection, because that’s a story for another day.
No, right now I am thinking of the moment Jesus died.  The ultimate sacrifice, a horrendous death on a cross for you and for me.
The moment Jesus passed the earth shook the curtain was torn and rocks split apart.
What dynamic force could have done that? What a mighty power it was to shake the earth.  
Sitting there this morning I had a thought. One of those thoughts that aren’t my own.
As I sat there the idea came to me that maybe the earth shook and the rocks split because grace had hit the earth.  
Like a meteor, for the first time in history Grace free and abundant slammed into this pitiful world and the force was so great that it had to physically buckle in order to withstand the sheer amount of grace that was produced by the acts of Jesus.
Jesus died that we might live and live more abundantly (Jn 10:1) in a grace unlike anything that had ever been possible.  


Thanks for reading

Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment