Friday, August 28, 2015

A Fast Post


I’m on day 3 of the Daniel fast.  Headaches and short temper seems to be the big hurdle right now.   

I hope you are all doing well on yours.  I know we are all doing different fasts. One LifePointer I talked to is doing just juice for 10 days, another is doing just bread and water for 10 days.  

I was eating at a restaurant and I had to greatly adjust the items I was ordering. Removed the meat and cheese, dressing stuff like that.  The waitress seemed kinda stunned so I told her I was on the Daniel Fast.  She made some small talk about not being able to do that herself and I felt myself feeling pretty good.  It felt good to be doing something not everyone could do.

I have went 3 days now without my normal food.  I have drank nothing but water. I am doing pretty good. My will power is pretty strong.

Do you see the problem with this situation?  

I am proud of my will power.  This is supposed to be about getting closer to God using my time to think more about Him. Pray more to Him and grow closer with Him.  I and my ego were starting to turn it into a demonstration of what my willpower can do.  

Your fast isn’t about what you can accomplish it’s about what God already has.  A fast is a way to get closer to Him to show your dedication in prayer and seeking. A way to focus your prayer like never before.

If you are fasting and you aren’t praying any more than normal, or reading your bible more or in some way dedicating more time to Him then why are you doing it?

There is still lots of time to turn the tide. Start today, start with prayer.

Because God knew I needed it, this was in my devotion last night and it set me on a different track this morning.

“When you fast, do not look sullen like the hypocrites, for they make their faces unattractive so that people will see them fasting. I tell you the truth, they have their reward. When you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that it will not be obvious to others when you are fasting, but only to your Father who is in secret. And your Father, who sees in secret, will reward you.  Matt. 6:16-18

At Your Service

Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment