Thursday, January 22, 2015

FUEL for the Fire

When I was a kid we attended only small churches.  The “youth groups” I was involved  in were at best twice weekly Sunday school classes.  Occasionally we would have a weenie roast.  I remember a halloween party or two.  

Now as an adult(ish) I can’t tell you how much I wish I had the opportunity to do some of the things that LifePoints youth get to do.  

From 5th Quarters to Mission trips and Sunday Night Small Groups these are the things you will remember as an adult fondly. I promise.
If you aren’t coming on Sunday Nights I really wish you would. We break in smaller groups and discuss Kelly’s sermon that morning using the same handout the adult small groups do. We kid around we discuss the sermon and we really get to know each other.

Maybe if I’d have had these chances at your age it wouldn’t have taken me until I was 33 to really get a handle on what Jesus did for me and what he requires of my life.
It was a conference 3 years ago that changed the course of  my life and my family.

This February you are going to get the opportunity to experience your first conference, Planet Wisdom in Tulsa Oklahoma, Feb 20 and 21.

At PW you are are going to get to hear great speakers, be entertained by the skit guys and enjoy worship on a completely different level.

As of right now 12 of you have signed up for sure. Please get your paperwork back to me as soon as you can.  There are another 11 that are “possibly” going.

If there is anything I can do to help eliminate the “possible” I will do it. If your parents would like to meet with me. If they have questions, if they are nervous about you being gone on an overnight trip I want to talk to them.  I want to relieve those worries.

I want you and your parents to know just how amazing these things can be. To be surrounded by thousands of your peers all worshiping Jesus. All there for Him.

I want you as part of FUEL to be able to tell your friends about your Youth Group proudly. To share the cool things we do and to show them our Lord by the way you live because I know as a teen its not always easy to talk about your faith with your peers.

I think the second most important part of this trip will be getting to know each other.  

We have a few new teens. We have some younger teens and we have the regulars. It makes me sad some nights when i see you all talking to the same teens you always talk to.  This is OUR youth group and I want you to be comfortable talking to everyone.

I want you mentoring and connecting with the new teens and the younger teens.

When you were in 7th grade how much would it have meant to you to know a High Schooler had your back. Or was genuinely interested in your thoughts and whats going on in your life.

You are kidding yourself if you think you wouldn’t have cared.  Remember that during this trip. Put yourself in their position.

I am blessed to be part of your leadership team in FUEL my only regret is that It’s hard to connect with each of you at church each week as our group grows.  Sometimes I totally miss talking to a few of you and it troubles me.
if you ever feel left out. If you EVER  want to talk. You can find me at church, you can call me 417-664-7618, you can text me or you can email me alan@lifepointlebanon.com.

See you Sunday.

At Your Service
Alan



No comments:

Post a Comment