Saturday, December 27, 2014

Top 5 Books of 2014

I didn’t read a whole lot of books this year. Not as many as previous years at least. Looks like I'll end the year with 36 books under my belt. Hope to do better in 2015
I’ve been busier than usual, that coupled with a slew of new podcasts to listen to I just haven’t read a whole lot.

It is December and It wouldn’t be the same without a list of my favorite books of the year.  Some of these books were not written or released this year. I did however read them in their entirety this year so that counts for me.

Number 5 is the Skin Collector. It’s a Lincoln Rhyme novel by Jeffery Deaver.  Jeffery Deaver has a way of writing twists that always blow my mind. The first book I read by Mr Deaver was also in the Lincoln Rhyme series. Lincoln Ryhme is a quadriplegic crime scene investigator. Along with his iron will, & razor sharp mind he is accompanied by New York Detective Amelia Sachs his partner and girlfriend as they solve crimes using the most minute detail.
The Skin Collector is just another in a series of great novels by Mr Deaver.

Number 4 is a Good Marriage by Stephen King.  A good marriage finds Darcy Anderson wife of Bob Anderson for 27 years going to the garage to find batteries and instead discovering a box filled with women’s drivers licenses and other sundry souvenirs. It turns out her husband was a serial killer before they met. He stopped because of her.
Should she turn him in and ruin their life. The life of their kids?
Should she keep it quiet and sleep every night next to a monster. It’s a great book and I strongly encourage you to read it.

Number 3 the Martian by David Weir. Soon to be a major motion picture staring Matt Damon and directed by Ridley Scott. Mr Scott of course is a master of isolation horror as proved by the 1979 american horror classic Alien.
The book the Martian is at times claustrophobic in its telling of a man accidentally presumed dead and left behind during a mission to Mars.  As the tale unfolds the main character Mark Watney must bring together all his resources and ingenuity to survive long enough for a rescue mission to find him. That is if he can even find a way to let them know he survived.

Number 2 The Reason for God by Timothy Keller. This book was the foundation of a series we did at church and it is an amazing work of apologetics. I own the audiobook, & the paperback. If I could make it required reading for teens and young adults I would.

Number 1 is Ready Player One and usually I would not include a book i read so recently but it was so fantastic of a read I find myself thinking about it quite often.
It is a very witty book, filled with eighties pop culture trivia. It has recently been optioned as a movie as well and I have no idea how they will pull it off with all the rights needed in order to get the trivia correct.
Part Last Star Fighter part the Wizard this book is phenomenal beginning to end.

Here is the publishers book description….

In the year 2044, reality is an ugly place. The only time teenage Wade Watts really feels alive is when he's jacked into the virtual utopia known as the OASIS. Wade's devoted his life to studying the puzzles hidden within this world's digital confines—puzzles that are based on their creator's obsession with the pop culture of decades past and that promise massive power and fortune to whoever can unlock them.
   But when Wade stumbles upon the first clue, he finds himself beset by players willing to kill to take this ultimate prize. The race is on, and if Wade's going to survive, he'll have to win—and confront the real world he's always been so desperate to escape.

I read a few stinkers this year too. I loved the Maze Runner but the subsequent sequels left a lot to be desired and kind of spoiled the franchise for me.

I tried a few non fiction books that just didn’t take off for me. Just because you love someones sermons doesn’t mean you'll like a book length version of it.

Honorable Mentions as far as books go include….

Personal, by Lee Child. This is another Jack Reacher novel. I have read every book in the series thus far and find each one as good or better than the last. He has never let me down. Personal is no exception.

Greater by Steven Furtick. Greater is a walk thru the life of Elisha and was written to help the reader better understand the mind of Elisha. Elisha was a prophet that wanted more, he knew he wanted more and he received it from God. Greater is a reminder that we all should seek more from our relationship with Christ.

A walk among the Tombstones. I originally bought this book because I wanted to see the movie and it didn’t come to town. Turned out to be a really great book. Might have even made my top five if the other books in the series were not as terrible as they were.  It was another case of bad books ruining a series for me. To the point i sincerely doubt I pick up another book by Mr Block.

Well there you have it. Not a super captivating read I’m sure but I feel like I need to do this every year.
I felt safe doing to now because against everyones suggestions I started the Divergent series and probably won’t be able to read anything else before next Wednesday.
I know the Divergent series won’t make it on my list even if the first book was pretty good because I have heard nothing but terrible things about the 3rd book. One friend said it made her so made she stopped reading for some time and another said she cried and cried after finishing the series and that the 3rd book ruined her on the series. Still feel like I need to finish.

At your service
Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment