Friday, January 10, 2014

New Job

Haven't blogged in a while. 

I have a job. Not a freelance job but an actual job. Monday I will wake up at 8 am get around and drive to work where I will remain for 8 hours not including lunch and return home at 5. 

This is the first time in 2 years 7 months and 12 days that I have had a job outside my home. It's really both exciting and nerve wracking. 

For the last 2 1/2 years I have worked for myself and gotten by pretty well. There has been some slow points but for the most part it's been great. 

Well last month was decidedly not great.  It's not that I didn't have work.

It all started when I got a detailed assignment. I was asked to design shirts for the USMc in mid early Dec.  The problem is that while I'm doing the detailed work I'm not getting paid. 
They wanted 5 designs each taking about 3 days to do. So for roughly 15 days I couldn't invoice because I was designing. 
At the end of that assignment and talking to my client. I was told I'd be given several smaller jobs so I could start getting money and caught back up. 

So I had plenty of work however my client was closed Wed-Fri 2 weeks in a row for the holidays.  This meant that no matter how much I invoiced I didn't get a check. 

Meanwhile thanks to Christmas we were hemoraging money. Then Bat finally got into a specialist and we couldn't put it off so there went more money. 
I had quite a bit invoiced but nothing coming in. 

Next thing you know we are down to double and then single digits in the bank. 
Had it not been for Christmas & New Years it'd not have been an issue. 

I had been thinking about a part time job for a while. Something just to get me out of the house a little. Freelance even when I'm making full time money isn't a real full time job. 
For instance last week I received an assignment of really simple "type setting" style designs. 

For example.

I got 11 jobs like this on Sunday and that was a weeks worth of pay for a full time job all done all at once. I received another set on Wed & had them done Thursday. 

So I have quite a bit of free time. 

Anyway, I'd prayed about it and just asked God to send me something. I wasn't going to "look" I was going to wait. 
So I did for about a year now I did my work and just expected God to provide, which he did wonderously. 

Recently I was asked if I'd be interested in subbing for a good friend on his postal route. That seemed like it might be the answer. 
Then Thursday I was at the Army Surplus here in town and a guy walked in surprisingly asked to see me. He heard of me & offered me a job doing graphic art full time and said there would be no complications with my freelancing. So I'd still have that income too. 

I talked to Linda and a few of my friends and decided to take the job. 

So come Monday it's back to a daily grind. 

I'd appreciate some prayers. 

Thanks for reading. 


No comments:

Post a Comment