Sunday, January 26, 2014

Back to Freelance Full Time

I started my new job 2 weeks ago today. Assuming that if you are reading this at all then it is Monday. 

I was hired to do art, learn separations and "help occasionally" in the shop.  Unfortunately occasionally was everyday. 
So one day I pulled shirts out of the dryer most the day. One day we counted shirts. Two days I put shirts on the machine for them to get printed. 2 days we went home early. Which wasn't a concern because I was still doing freelance so I was more than happy to go home. I only bring it up so you can see that I worked 7 day and about 5 of them had hardly any art in them at all. 
I didn't feel like I was learning enough to be ready when my trainer left for the National Guard. 

On the 8th day, last Wednesday morning I arrived at work and my trainer said we'd be out in the shop all day printing and cleaning screens as well as counting shirts into the various client piles. 

After about an hour maybe an hour and a half I went to talk with Matt the owner. I told him I didn't think it was going to work. 
I was spending so much time in the shop I told him that I just wasn't comfortable. Plus I just had no time for my family which was a concern. 
I was still doing freelance after work but it was going really well. That meant since I have church responsibilities on Wed, Thurs, & Sundays my freelance had to be done on the remaining days. 
So I was going full days without getting to spend time with the family. 

That was a big concern for me as well as a couple other things I'll bring up later. 

However I don't want it to sound like I'm making excuses. 
I left my job. I could have worked there basically as long as I wanted. Money wasn't great but since I was working in my free time, evenings and such the money wasn't too concerning. 

I left because I didn't want to be shop help. Yes there were other things I thought and worried about but it boiled down to that. I just don't want to work in a shop. 

Now the other things. Again not excuses just a look into what I'd been thinking. 

After my first week I was pretty tired.  Work and then freelance as much as I could before going to bed. No real personal or family time just work. 
I was working hard but it was paying off. Especially freelance. I made more money on Sun-Tuesday freelance then I was going to make at Digital Silver in a month. 

Sat night I found myself dreading church. That is something that literally hadn't happened in almost a year. 
I was trying to think of a way to miss. I ended up going and of course had a great day but after church I started dreading Sunday night small group with the youth. 

I was thinking about calling in and telling my team that I was going to stay home and work. I had stuff to do plus I honestly needed some down time. 

I ended up going again and again I had a good time and forgot about my worries. 

After church I went home and to bed early. Lin and the kids were at her parents for the weekend. 
I tossed and turned and couldn't sleep. I'd been sleeping really poorly the last week but the more I laid there the more I dreaded work. 

I went Monday and Tuesday night I was already starting to dread Wednesday night service because I had received a good number of freelance assignments again and I needed to get them done. 
Then Wednesday ended up being my last day and I felt a great weight lift. 

It might sound silly to some but. I don't want to go back to the way it was before C3 last February. When I dreaded church or didn't want to serve and help. 

When I got home Wednesday morning after leaving I sent my client an email. I told him that I'd be back working freelance full time and his response was a God send. 

He told me that the company was experiencing growth and that he needed me to take on more work. 

So that's what I'm doing. I'm now working full time freelance. For as long as it lasts. I'm trusting in God that the money will continue to come in. 
He's always taken care of us and I don't see that EVER changing. 

So now this is my day. 

I'm volunteering at the church 2 hours a day. I. Doing this for 2 reasons. 
1) I love my church and want to help. 
2) I don't want to go back to sleeping til noon so this way I will get up. Go to the church and help out a couple hours. 

So I'll volunteer, then come home and do something to help my wife for one hour. Laundry, dishes or cleaning. Just something to help Lin out. 

After that I will be doing freelance art. 

I'm excited about this. I'm excited to be back to where I can be a better tool. I'm glad to have some freedom back. 
I'm just feeling better all around. 

I know it sounds weird since I just started the job but there was no reason to keep going knowing that I wasn't going to be happy and do what I love to do. 

Thanks for reading. Now I'm heading to bed and it's not even midnight. 

Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment