Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Chasm

This is my hang up and something I need to work on so I thought I'd share.

I have a tendency as I have mentioned before, to look down on professing Christians that do things I don't do or were raised to believe were unbiblical.

Recently within about an hour of each other I saw a friend of mine from another state swear in their tweet. Then post a picture of the many alcoholic beverages they had consumed or were about to consume.
Same person that talks about Jesus in their profiles and retweets pastors all day.

As usual I found myself irked.

How dare someone do something I don't do. That I believe God doesn't want me to do.

I was feeling pretty smug about my own walk until God tapped me on the shoulder and reminded me of the things I do that he isn't wild about.

I gossip, I'm not too good to let someones off color remark make me laugh. I will go see a movie and not care about the content.

I have a myriad of faults.

Too often I put a letter grade in my mind on Christians and peers. There is no letter grade. This life is pass/fail.

What I forget is that the chasm between us and God is so big it can hold all our sins transgressions and ignorance. The gap is so big that all the sin of all the world could never fill it.
That which separates us from Christ is big enough to hold it all. There is no possible way to span that void.  You and I cannot reach the other side on our own we can't do it.

Jesus is the only bridge.

My friend and I have to both cross that same bridge and It has to be sufficient for any weight.

Just remember if you think the bridge isn't strong enough for someone else's sin then it'd be way to weak for yours.

 Matthew 7:3 Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye (NIV)

Thanks for reading
Alan




1 comment: