Friday, March 15, 2013

Fast Thoughts

Day 5 of my fast.  Our pastor asked a coupe weeks ago who would be interested in joining him in a 21 day fast. 
There are several types of fasts he mentioned but any really would do. A lot of people are doing the Daniel Fast and a few I think are doing a fast from their electronics.
I chose a juice fast in which I would eat no food for 21 days. Mainly I am having fresh juices thanks to my black and decker juicer.  I also have had a few juices I've had to buy and which aren't nearly as healthy. V8, Orange and Apple, I avoid anything that says cocktail for sure when I buy juice.  I've only had to buy juice a couple times.
If I was out about town and got thirsty or knew I was going to be away for a while.

I also am drinking a smoothie for breakfast.  Usually 1 avocado, 2 bananas and some rice milk for that.

When I started this thing I figured I'd be able to do it and it hasn't been too terribly hard but throughout the day I do have ridiculous cravings. As I write this I'd kick a horse to death for a chili dog.

Still when those things come up that I can really understand why people fast.

We have come together to say that this thing that we are all praying for is more important to us than comfort.

It's uncomfortable fasting. I can't really go out with my friends for lunch. I can't enjoy a meal with my family or grab a snack.  When Bat wants some cheesy whales, I'd normally have a couple out of his bowl but I don't and its weird.

I'd really like to have a chili dog, or a slice of pizza instead here in about 10 minutes while my wife bakes pizza for her and the kids I'll go juice a couple carrots some apples and a beet for my dinner.

I'm not complaining at all by the way, I hope it isn't coming off like that.  
I'm by no means miserable, I don't know that I'll ever truly know what it is like to be actually hungry.

I'm happy that Kelly laid this out for us and asked that we participate if we felt we could. 

I hope everyone else who is doing a fast this month is having a good time with it.

Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you Alan! I try to fast for 24 hours once a month and I'm not going to lie, going without food for that long makes me cranky. But it is also humbling and I feel closer to God. I have no doubt that this will continue to be a great experience for you, your family and your faith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ma'am, its day six and I still have 15 to go. I can't say I'm miserable but i'd really like some food right now. I'm hoping that when this is over I'll have a better idea of when Im really hungry and when I'm just eating for fun.

      Delete