Saturday, December 25, 2010

My Favorite Movies of 2010

This is my Top 11. It would have been 10 but I just finished the Fighter tonight and its definitely going to knock something out of the top 10. Just too early to tell which so for now its a top 11
These are my favorite movies of the year. The reason why I picked these is because I could watch them over and over and in some cases I have all ready

Book of Eli
If you haven't seen this then you have missed out. Solid film beginning to end. Gary Oldman and Denzel Washington turn in spellbinding performances. Rent it now!

Edge of Darkness
Any year that sees a new Mel Gibson vehicle is a good year to me. I don't care what his opinions are or your opinions of him. He is simply one of the greatest living actors and in the top 2 greatest Actor/Directors in history. Edge of Darkness was Mel's first movie since signs and he was spectacular in it.

Iron Man 2
What can I say. I am a die hard comics fan and I thought this movie was really good. I've watched it dozens of time. It has its problems but its a summer pop corn flick and its Iron Man
I'm worried about the future of the franchise and the linking of so many individual movies together but Im in for the ride Marvel Studio's Bring on the God of Thunder!

True Grit
Saw this movie last week and it is one of my top films of the year. I loved the book and I loved the movie. I will see this several more times in the theatre before it leaves.

Holy Rollers
Great job by Jesse Eisenburg in this film about an Orthodox Jewish boy and his struggles with his lifestyle verses his religion. Absolutely a gem. Watch it instantly on Netflix. Its based on a true story and both heartbreaking and humorous.

The Town
Ben Afleck has solifdified himself in my mind as second to only Mel Gibson as best Actor/Director. The town is beautifully paced and freakishly well acted. John Hamm, Ben Affleck and Jeremy Renner all turn in amazing performances but Blake Lively of all people really turn what you think about her on its ear.
Can't wait to watch this again.

Kick @$$
Best super hero movie of 2010 hands down. Nothing left to say.

Scott Pilgrim vs The World
So much fun. Its been a go to movie of mine here for a few months. I even got a copy of it on DVD early cuz I couldn't imagine waiting any longer to watch it again. Funny, dazzling special effects, wicked soundtrack & A+ acting. Edgar Wright has assured that I will be a fan for life.
Could have done without the roommate, and the coffee house girl though.

The Fighter
Saw this tonight and Christian Bale is mind bendingly brilliant. Best supporting actor this year for sure. If he doesn't get it he was robbed. THE END

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
This foreign film started an obsession for me & is likely my second favorite film this year. I loved this movie and the sequel. I haven't had a chance to watch the third one yet. it is out on DVD in a month.
This film got me to read the books that is based on. Its a worldwide sensation and there is a reason why. Do yourself a favor and look this up. Either Netflix watch instantly or on DVD. I have the first 2 DVD's and I'll be adding the third one on January 25th.
Movie has everything, mystery action crazy amounts of suspense and a bit of comedy.
Be warned though there is a pretty graphic rape scene but easily skipped.

Exit Through the Gift Shop
Best documentary easily and my favorite movie of the year. I can't get enough of this film. Everyone should watch it. Its so inspiring. Its also on Netflix on demand right now.

My favorite Animated Film was How to Train Your Dragon. Tangled & Megamind were great too. While I enjoyed Toy Story 3 as a bookend to the series I didn't find it a particularly good cartoon. I like movies I can take my kids to and not horrify them. It was just too emotional

Honorable Mentions

Inception
I liked this movie ALOT but its so intense I just don't want to watch it again any time soon. Masterfully built though.

She's Out of My League
Funniest movie I saw this year. Kinda rough but I can't help but laugh.

Unthinkable
Sam Jackson is at his baddest in this film as an interigator who is loosed on a terrorist. Its very upsetting where this film goes but you can't look away.

Human Centipede
seriously, if you see the trailer you hunt down the film.

Paranormal Activity 2
Great sequel that really expanded on the original.

Splice
Creepy creepy creepy but fun. Watch this on DVD its well worth your time.

Worst movie I saw this year in a theater was Grown Ups. This was just painful. Every joke was telegraphed so early you could say it with them. Just God forsaken.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't watched many current films this year but I did watch the Girl with a Dragon Tattoo. I loved that film but I had read all three books.
    I hated for the third one to end.
    I will be watching the other films.
    Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete