Thursday, December 31, 2009

Best and Worst of 09

I really wanted to get this out before the new year and looks like I am barely going to make it. I have seen a lot of movies this year. More so than your average movie goers. I see a lot of films between the theatre and DVD and thought I’d share with you my favorite of 2009.

This list is a rundown of some of my favorites.

Everyone has different taste (here recently I have met several people who didn’t like District 9) but I really had some of the most fun this year watching the movies listed below.

20)Law Abiding Citizen

Revenge is a dish best served cold, and Gerard Buttler is ice cold in this tale of revenge.

19) Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

This was my favorite cartoon this year all though Monsters vs Aliens was also quite good this one just seemed to take me away. Its just as good in 2D as 3D and has amazing re-watchability. The voice acting is spot on and animation is top shelf. Due yourself a favor and give it a rent.

18) Friday the 13th

Director Marcus Nispel made Jason creepy again. Its still your run of the mill slasher film but just as fun as the franchise was back in the early 80’s. Marcus takes us back to reboot the franchise glossing quickly over the Jason Vorhees origin story and cutting straight to the chase. Jason receives his signature hockey mask within the first half hour and proceeds to cut a bloody path across the woods of Camp Crystal Lake. This is a return to the Crystal lake of my youth and I had a blast

17)ZOMBIELAND

The perfect zombie movie, the surprise cameo was brilliant. The American Shaun of the Dead

16) State of Play

This didn’t get a lot of love in theatres but I found it a genuinely riveting watch on dvd. Best political thriller of the year for me and something I recommend on a weekly basis at Blockbuster.

15) Whip it

Drew Barrymore’s directorial debut is in my opinion a home run and I have never been a Barrymore fan. Ellen Page is amazing as always and the supporting cast is inspired.

14)Paranormal Activity

Scared me for the first time in my movie watching life. I watched it once and that was plenty. I am only including it on my list because it had such an impact on me. It bothered me deeply for days. I have had several chances to see it again for free both at the theatre and on DVD and refused both. Once was plenty. Absolutely chilling.

13) Anvil: The Story of Anvil

Best doc of the year. I literally laughed and cried during my viewing.

12) Saw 6

They always keep me coming back for more and never more so than the ending of this the sixth film in the Saw franchise. Can’t wait to see what happens next.

11) Trick or Treat

My pick for the best horror movie of the year. Unlike paranormal activity this has re-watchability. It also has the best werewolf scene I have laid eyes on in a long, long time. Very reminiscent of an old 80’s horror anthology, Creep Show, Tales from the Crypt or Tales from the Darkside come to mind

10) Last House on the Left

Revenge is the theme of this blog, and nowhere in the film world this year was there such violent and satisfying revenge as “Last House” provided. The rape scene, especially in the unrated DVD was really tough to get thru but it made the revenge and rage felt by the parents feel so much better

9) I Love You Man

I thought this was almost a perfect comedy. Jason Segal was tops in his role and even stole a scene or two from Paul Rudd one of my favorite comedic actors as of late. It was a great buddy film, even more so to me than the Hangover which has been getting such amazing reviews lately.

8) Sherlock Holmes

Guy Ritchie is one of my favorite directors, second only to Mel Gibson whom I feel is our greatest living director. In “Holmes” Guy takes us on a thrill ride thru London packed with signature Ritchie delights. From perfectly placed and timed slow motion shots to out brilliantly written inner monologues you will find yourself on the edge of your seat with this one.

7) I Love You Beth Cooper

In a year that saw the passing of John Hughes, the feel of this movie seemed to me to be a fitting tribute. From start to finish “Cooper” plays like a classic Brat Pack film. Infinitely better than last years Nick and Nora. I thought “Cooper” was sweet, funny and nostalgic.

6) Drag Me To Hell

Welcome back Mr Rami you have been missed.

5) Watchmen

Thank you Mr Snyder for making a movie for comic fans that didn’t care if people who don’t read comics “got it” or not. Amazing story, brilliant casting, incredible cgi, Watchman was a full meal for the senses. RORSHACH!

4) District 9

Wow and Wow again. Originality is the key to this alien film that shatters preconceived notions of what a movie about extra terrestrials should be. You will root for the Prawns or you have no soul. Best alien movie since Independence Day

3) Inglorious Basterds

"Naw, I’ll probably just get yelled at,….I been yelled at before” –Aldo Raine

2)Star Trek

This movie went from being a movie I was just ok with at the theatre to being my go to DVD. I watch it or at least part of it once a week at a minimum. Funny, exciting, emotional, this movie has it all and I wasn’t even a Star Trek fan really to begin with. JJ Abrams is brilliant. The casting in this film was the best. It completely took these iconic figures and somehow made it ok to recast. I ask you if there is any other Scotty in your mind now that Simon Pegg has had the role.

1) Taken

Go get this movie and you will understand. Liam Neson is a dad that will stop at nothing, and I mean nothing to get his daughter back from kidnappers. This is the best film of 2009 in my opinion. I left the theatre just jazzed to have gotten to watch it

HONORABLE MENTIONS:

Avatar: For the 3D and CGI alone, Lord knows its not for the plot or storytelling

Surrogates: I love me some Bruce Willis

Fired Up: Fun from start to finish, just make sure you watch the rated version

Horsemen: Dennis Quaid is amazing in this fun but predictable serial killer movie

Pandorum: DQ and Ben Foster deliver in this Mutant space tale

Gamer: Cheesy fun

Food Inc: Second Best Doc of 09

Sorority Row: Fun to watch though very predictable

Dead Girl: Threw me For a loop

Now on to the worst. Only once this year did a movie actually make me mad simply because it was so unbelievably bad. Just because the end is a twist and you don't see it coming doesn't make it a good twist. This film had such a mind boggling twist that is so utterly unbelievable that I was furious for days. It was like the anger equivalent of the scare that Paranormal Activity gave me for a week after words. The film I am talking about is none other than..

The Orphan

Seriously? a 30 year old Russian killer with progressive dwarfism? Really? Thats the route you decided to go Orphan writer ? May God have mercy on your soul, you dumb poor fool.

Thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment